Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns book atop a map
A book I'm sure you've heard of: Paper Towns by John Green. As I'm a proud nerdfighter (Vlogbrothers forever!), this review will be unabashedly mixed with references. As a nerd and a reader and an enthusiast for knowledge, nerdiness, weird references, and decreasing worldsuck, I strongly recommend this Youtube channel. Just saying.

Note: I am aware there is a movie. In fact, I am aware there is a movie because I watch John's Youtube channel. I also read this book, An Abundance of Katharines, and The Fault in Our Stars because of the Youtube channel. However, I have seen none of these movies.

Okay! On to the actual review!

Q (Quentin) has always half-had-a-crush-on, half loved Margo Roth Spiegelman, his neighbor and childhood friend/family friend/acquaintance. At school, where both of them are seniors, Margo is the queen and Q is a lowly peasant: they haven't talked in a long time, ever since they found a dead body together (long story). One night, though, Margo opens his window and drafts him as her getaway driver in a prank-filled, heartbeat-increasing-to-dangerous-levels night of revenge involving eleven extremely carefully planned catfish-related pranks. After one night of amazing fun together, though, Q shows up back at school to realize that Margo has become a mystery. As he and his best friends wonder where she's gone, Q has to come to terms with the way he's always seen Margo, and the way she really is.

Although pleasantly mature in terms of truths meditated, Paper Towns definitely is teen, with high school senior characters and references to language and other not-so-child-appropriate ideas... Personally I feel that the nature of the story gets better at the end and is worth wincing at the teen-y-ness, but if you are uncomfortable with that... yeah.

Paper Towns is, however, an absolutely amazing book. I really love the way John Green writes: his characters are teenagers, but they uncover truths of life in their thoughts. A summary can't do this book justice because it's less about the still-amazing plot and more about learning about each other. Whitman, Margo, and Q all have different ways of looking at looking at people that I all think are extremely powerful.
Five stars!

I'd recommend John Green's other books, An Abundance of Katherines and The Fault in Our Stars, as well as his tumblr, his youtube channel(s), and his ideas.

Happy reading!
~Citali

P. S. One more week until Theme Week: here's a hint! "Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies. You must know this, Dumbledore." (Guess the speaker!)



2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your review of this book, Citali. Whitman, Margo, and Q's outlooks on life are all unique and it sort of shows how different people are while being similar, I think. It is my favorite book by John Green. Speaking of him, have you heard (I may have heard incorrectly, but I am not sure) that he is working on a new book? I'm very excited.
    I have just discovered this blog and I must say I'm impressed. It's great. Every post (that I've read, at least) is well-written and well thought out. Keep up the good work, guys!
    Don't forget to be awesome,
    Sapphique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Sapphique! Super glad you're reading The Archives and glad you love it!

    Paper Towns is genius. I have to disagree, TFioS is my personal favorite, but I think it certainly embodies John Green's best philosophy: Imagine Complexly.

    And yes, he has mentioned on tumblr and on vlogbrothers that he's writing a new book! Yay!

    ReplyDelete