Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Book vs. Movie

I'm aware I'm about a decade behind the world at this, but I'm slowly going through the Harry Potter movies. The most recent: Prisoner of Azkaban. And I've got a bit to say.

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite HP book (even though that's like picking between favorite children). But among the first three movies I've watched, it has to be my least favorite.

**Book and movie spoilers ahead. Protego!**


Why Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite book:

Remus John Lupin, Werewolf McWerewolf, everyone's (I dare you, anyone, to fight me on this. Wizard's duel me on this.) favorite Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Ever. Compared to being literally possessed, a total airhead, kind of sort of evil, definitely evil and disgustingly political to boot, the worst possible outcome of a love triangle, or bigoted, cruel, evil monsters... He doesn't have fair competition, but he'd rise above the best. He comforted Harry and Neville, taught them spells worth using, could stand up to Snape successfully, and continues to have an amazing role even after his resignation. He was the only DADA teacher to succumb to the post's curse more or less of his own will; he wasn't killed, incapacitated, or evil, which is annoyingly rare for a DADA teacher. 

Sirius Black, godfather certainly extraordinaire. I think one of the best part about Rowling's characters is their imperfection, and he is no exception. He might mean well, but he scares Harry in his Grim Animagus form. He still wants to murder, although of course Pettigrew would deserve it. He's an imperfect father figure, but we can appreciate the feeling behind it all. He loves Harry, after all is said and done. 

Hermione Jean Granger. Despite how amazing she is, it's important that sometimes she can be overprotective, closed-minded, or bossy. She's not perfect either. And here, with her unflinching Gryffindor loyalty to Hagrid and to Crookshanks and to Wizarding law, she shows how complex she is as a character. Also, a witch with smarts and a cat? Every fangirl's aesthetic. 

Staying in Diagon Alley! Florean Fortescue! (collective sigh of regret from the Pottermore Potterheads.)
The Firebolt. Doesn't everyone want to fly?
Buckbeak beating up Malfoy… who 100% deserved it, come on. 

But I can't seem to love the Prisoner of Azkaban movie as much. Here's why.

I feel that one of the main purposes of movie adaptations of books is to use the very visual media to worldbuild, worldbuild, worldbuild. And while this is definitely fulfilled in the amazing Harry Potter septology, I worry that it comes at the expense of character development and complexity of the sort that it's nearly impossible to do without voiceover narration. Of the sort that, as ranted upon above, makes Rowling's writing as amazing as it is and specifically makes Prisoner of Azkaban what it is.

While I can understand this, I feel like it was executed unusually poorly in this movie:

They cut some of Lupin's best lines! Notably, they significantly (and imho, negatively) changed the beloved Boggart scene. I miss moments like Waddiwasi!-ing Peeves or telling off Snape, not to mention the important fact that he stopped Harry from facing the Boggart (dementor) without making him feel bad about it (giving him and Hermione points anyway, for answering questions). It's a combination of lack of explanation--of his care for Harry, of his dislike for Snape's bullying--and of strange trade-offs.

Scenes like the cinematic longshots of Harry on Buckbeak seem less useful to me than explanation.

Harry has to talk more about how he wants to go to Hogsmeade. Sirius needs to explain the Marauders better. Lupin needs to explain the complex transfer of Secret-Keeping that led, partially, to Lily and James' death (*sob*). The whole Scabbers/Crookshanks/Padfoot deal was only brushed over, not explained as in those midnight scenes of Crookshanks prowling.

And just appearance! The Grim (Padfoot) is meant to be bearlike, not that skinny shepherd dog. A werewolf (Moony) is meant to look like a wolf, not that awkward and horrifying man-wolf creature. They're meant to be almost indistinguishable, to the point that you need page 394 to find out the difference (not that Snape is known for making his lessons useful... "Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?" comes to mind). Pottermore has it right on this point, Alphonso Cuaron. Sorry.



All this to say that I love the Marauders, Lupin-as-professor, all that good stuff. I'll always love the books more, while I can admit that the Wizarding World of the movies (Wizarding cinematic World?) is pretty awesome. I love the little moments of the movies that are harder to fit in in the books, all the ships' little moments (Nevilluna, I'm looking at you).

Respectfully disagreeing,
Happy reading and watching!
~Citali

No comments:

Post a Comment