Sunday, October 23, 2016

Willow Does NaNo

So. November is coming up, and y'all know what that means.

("No, we don't, Willow. Educate us, Willow.")

NaNoWriMo is almost here!

For those of you new to this blog, National Novel Writing Month -- aka NaNoWriMo -- is a project during the month of November in which aspiring writers attempt to churn out 50,000 words within the month. I know. Yikes.

I've done Camp NaNoWriMo before, with word count goals of a meager 15,000 each time, but this is my first actual NaNo. I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

Here's the thing, though: I feel like this experience is going to be very different from my previous attempts.

Why, you ask? Well.

When I did Camp, all I had to motivate/help me were a few enthusiastic cabinmates, my own inspiration, and the ever-wonderful Citali. Amazing as they are, they weren't quite enough to catapult me to success.

This time, it's a fully fledged NaNo, and I'm in a completely different environment. I've changed schools, and the one I currently go to? Has a NaNoWriMo club, Facebook group and all.

That means: twenty-something people my age working on the same project that I am, maybe encountering the same pitfalls, always encouraging and helping each other out.

Aww, yeah. This should be good.

Having a group of people to work with-- one that encompasses more than just Citali (sorry, dear) -- is going to be immensely helpful. Already we're having meetings, discussing how to plot properly and tips and tricks about characterization.

This month, I know that if I falter, if I lose track of where my story's going, I'll have someone to back me up, get me back on track.

I have a good feeling about this.

Happy writing!
~Willow

No comments:

Post a Comment