Thursday, December 29, 2016

"Possession is forbidden": How Fandoms Look at Love

"Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi’s life. So you might say, that we are encouraged to love.” Star Wars

"I realized, I minded." The Hunger Games

"'You are going to marry another man. How dare you come here--demanding to know of my son--as if you had a right?' 'No right perhaps--except the right of loving him.'" Emily of New Moon

From a galaxy far, far away, to a dystopian future in a not-too-far-off United States, to Victorian Canada, three fandoms all seem to, in part or totally, describe love as a possession by someone else. Of course, the girl-power enthusiast in me immediately rejects this: how can love be at you and not with you? Is that how love, the most powerful and innate emotion of human nature, works?

(This is just a little rage post I threw out there.)
~Citali

No comments:

Post a Comment