Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Deep and Serious Thoughts on Adaptations (No, Not Really)


'Sup? Willow here. A lot of our favorite books have been adapted into movies, and we've noticed that occasionally the movie-makers mess up. For example, the movie adaptations of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books were... well, if I was being polite, I'd call them less-than-perfect, and if I was being honest, I'd call them abominations. To name a few others, the Eragon movie and The Hobbit trilogy, while enjoyable films, were hardly faithful to the novels they were based upon. I mean, come on, people, how hard is it to make a movie that's 100% identical to the book?!?! Just kidding. :-)

Adaptations aren't always horrible, though. The Harry Potter movies were well done, not straying too far from Rowling's works. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was a masterpiece (no, seriously, it won a bunch of Oscars and was a huge hit.) BBC Sherlock, a television show chronicling the exploits of a 21st century Sherlock and Watson, captures all the thrill and drama of the original books while rooting its characters firmly into the modern world. 

Sorry. I got carried away, didn't I?

Anyway, the real purpose of this post is a list. (What? Booklists are my thing.) This time, it's going to be ten books that would make excellent movies-- provided, that is, that the filmmakers did their jobs properly. 

Here we go, in no particular order:
  1. Spy School by Stuart Gibbs (I've mentioned this before, it's a great book.)
  2. The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (Does anyone else think Robert Downey Jr. would be really good as Halt?)
  3. Cinder by Marissa Meyer (It's a futuristic Cinderella story with a really epic plot twist. If you haven't read it yet, DO SO IMMEDIATELY.)
  4. The Menagerie by Tui T. Sutherland and Kari Sutherland (They'd need a lot of CGI to pull this one off, though.)
  5. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstien (This book isn't really that well known, but it's good. It's like The Westing Game meets Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, only with books instead of candy.)
  6. Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (So sweet! And sad! And heartwarming!)
  7. The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson (Simple and a bit slow at times, but a good read.)
  8. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (This was in my last booklist, too. All I have to say about it is: Bucket.)
  9. The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forrester (It's been called "Little House on the Prairie meets X-Men.")
  10. Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George (Don't be put off by the title. It features a kingdom of evil stone demons.)
  11. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (Yes, I know I broke the rule, but you would, too, if you'd read the book. I'm not making sense, am I? Bad Willow.)
Just because they haven't been made into movies yet doesn't mean you can't read them! I suggest you get going!

Until next time, happy reading!
~Willow

No comments:

Post a Comment