Sunday, December 27, 2015

Questions about Books, Willow Edition

So a while ago Citali wrote a post answering a questionnaire she found, and I (Willow here, BTW) was instantly inspired and/or envious. This post is going to be me, answering those exact same questions.


1. Favorite childhood book
Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A.Milne. I've always loved that little fat bear.
2. What are you reading right now?
The Weapon of a Jedi by Jason Fry, Convergence by Stan Lee, Stuart Moore, and Andie Tong, and A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull.
3. What books do you have on request at the library?

Wonder by R. J. Palacio.
4. Bad book habit?

Leaving my books all over the place.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

Princess Leia #1 (by a whole bunch of people), Wake by Lisa McMann, Sidekicked by John David Anderson, Death Sworn by Leah Cypess, The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull, and Sabriel by Garth Nix.
6. Do you have an e-reader?

Nope. I have an app on my tablet, though. It's got Jane Eyre and Anne of Green Gables on it.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

Just one at a time. That doesn't stop me from reading several at the same time, though.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

Not really...
9. Least favorite book you read this year so far?

Um... lemme think. Maybe the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth. (It's not that they were bad, just the rest of the books I read were better.)
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson, hands down. I mean, wow. That is one amazing book.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?

Like Citali said: anything, everything.
13. Can you read in the car?

No. I already get motion sickness really easily; reading doesn't exactly help.
14. Favorite place to read?

On the old sofa. I've had it for years, so it's kind of my go-to reading spot at this point.
15. What is your policy on book lending?

As long as the book is returned to me in the same condition, I'm fine with it.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?

Not really.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

Only when I've had to do annotations for school.
18. Not even with textbooks?

See #17.
19. What is your favorite language to read in?

English. While I can speak Bengali fluently, I can't read or write it.
20. What makes you love a book?

A good plot, humor, writing style, and three-dimensional characters.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

Basically what I wrote in #20.
22. Favorite genre?

Fantasy, fantasy, fantasy.
23. Genre you rarely read but wish you did?

Nonfiction, to be honest.
24. Favorite biography?

The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee. Does that count as a biography?
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

Nope.
26. Favorite cookbook?

Ummm... next question, please?
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
28. Favorite reading snack?

I dunno, spicy chips, maybe?
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I expected much more from it.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

Often, actually.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

If I don't think the book is all that great, I'll say so. Bluntly.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?

Either Latin or Sanskrit. Like Citali said: classics!
35. Favorite poet?

Does J.R.R.Tolkien count?
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?

Five to ten.
37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?

Very rarely.
38. Favorite fictional character?

Ooh, that's a hard one. Ginny Weasley, or Eragon Shadeslayer, or Natasha Romanoff, or the Tenth Doctor, or Ahsoka Tano. (What? I literally JUST SAID it's a hard one.)
39. Favorite fictional villain?

Honestly, I like antiheroes better than villains. Does Loki Laufeyson (from the MCU) count?
41. The longest you’ve gone without reading?

I honestly don't know. A few days, maybe?
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis. I mean, I finished it eventually, but the heavy-handed religious allegory kind of ruined it for me.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

The Lord of the Rings. The movies were amazing.
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

Eragon. Pathetic!
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?

999 rupees, on a three-volume graphic novel adaptation of the Mahabharata. So worth it.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

I usually flip through to get a glimpse of what the writing's like.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through?

If it was inappropriate, or boring, or stereotypical.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?

I do, yeah. My bookshelves used to be a mess, but now I've got them organized pretty well, if I do say so myself.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?

Keep, always. I could never give away a book, unless I really hated it.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?

Legend by Marie Lu. I've heard a lot about it, but it seems kind of cliched.
52. Name a book that made you angry.

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne. The blatant racism put me off. Calling another religion's deity a "hag" is not cool.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie.
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?

Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger. It was... meh.
55. Favorite guilt-free pleasure reading?

Comics, especially Star Wars or Marvel.

Happy reading!
~Willow

No comments:

Post a Comment